Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
old trucks vs new trucks
old trucks seem to hold up better than newer trucks. even the chassis on older trucks don't seem to rust as fast as the newer counterparts. fitzgerald glider chassis rust bad after 1 year. that goes to show the quality of the newer chassis coming from paccar. anyone else notice this?
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to kwdriver for this post:
  • alicestar, burrows_03, DieselDwarf, RaZoR , Sensei
This is a pretty fair statement used to work at a pete dealership and you would be surprised to see the wear on some of these newer models the plastic and fiberglass just don't hold up!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to burrows_03 for this post:
  • DieselDwarf, Sensei
My 00 Pete came out of Illinois and I run out of MN. My frame is still sporting it's original 18 year old paint and when it's clean I can see my reflection in the frame rails between the tanks and my fenders. The only spot of rust on my frame is underneath the fifth wheel. So yeah the older trucks in my experience hold up better.

I don't think it's the grade of steel and more likely cheaper paint on the chassis and related parts. Anyone that lives in a northern state where they use that chemical deicer crap on the roads knows how fast it'll corrode and flash rust bare metal. Not to mention I'm sure the manufacturers would rather have trucks regularly coming back in for repairs or being traded off for new trucks. They don't make money off guys like me that turn our own wrenches.
Looks like its a whole idea behind it. They are not meant to last. The more they brake the more parts you need and/or buy a newer truck. I am mechanic and seeing most of the genuine parts come from China is just said. Cummins,Detroit .... main engine parts made overseas . Frame , rear ends they rust up like crazy especially on Volvos VNL.