Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VGT Turbo
Hello everyone!  
  I'm new here and hoping I'll be able to find the help I need or the answers.  
  I've got a 2013 ISX CM2250 that the previous owner had deleted the VGT turbo and it seems that the engine brake doesn't work as good as a truck with the VGT.  Is there a way to tune the current setup to have a better engine brake and if not how complicated would it be to re install a VGT turbo as far as tuning goes?
(12-16-2023, 11:49 AM)Number8 Wrote: Hello everyone!  
  I'm new here and hoping I'll be able to find the help I need or the answers.  
  I've got a 2013 ISX CM2250 that the previous owner had deleted the VGT turbo and it seems that the engine brake doesn't work as good as a truck with the VGT.  Is there a way to tune the current setup to have a better engine brake and if not how complicated would it be to re install a VGT turbo as far as tuning goes?

No. The 3rd stage jake will not work without the VGT. You need to re-install the VGT and re-flash vehicle.
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
3rd stage isn’t exactly an engine brake. It’s an exhaust brake controlled by the VGT Turbo. I shake my head at guys that ask me “isn’t it better to delete the pesky VGT?”. Drive around for a week with only stages 1 & 2 and tell me how you like it. In the flat lands it might be something you could live with, however up here in the PNW at maxi loads putting us at 105k+ lbs, we need all the help we can get. Not to mention fuel consumption losses, reduced engine life, etc. if someone tells you to swap the cam, politely walk away.

Now going forward, suck it up and get a VGT back on there. Yeah they are expensive, but that’s trucking for ya. Then find a reputable tuner (or attempt creating a file yourself if you’re brave enough) and get that thing running right.