Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calterm help CHI AND ALPHA TABLES
Been going trough parameters on calterm I see Chi tables ,alpha tables and fuel tables since there are multiple chi tables does anybody know what each of them are for if you have any info I'll gladly appreciate it tia
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Amp1000 for this post:
  • Remix_Velozity, trenihan, windowrattler
(01-01-2020, 11:13 PM)Amp1000 Wrote: Been going trough parameters on calterm I see Chi tables ,alpha tables and fuel tables since there are multiple chi tables does anybody know what each of them are for if you have any info I'll gladly appreciate it tia
Each Chi mode are for different engine operating modes I.E SCR warm-up, Parked regen, Egr on mode, Egr off mode etc.

Theres 5 mains vector tables which decides what engine operating mode it will be in. Ill attach a screen file with those tables.

Cm2250 sure theres more that I dont know 
Alpha0 - Warmup/Oil temp Prot
Alpha1 - Steady state
Chi-2 High altitude (engine protection)
Chi-3 EGR derate/other derate
Chi-4 Non EGR mode Prot
Chi-5 Cold ambient mode
Chi-6 SCR Eng Prot 
Chi-7 EGR Prot

Attached Files
.txt   Cm2250-2350 vectors.txt (Size: 70 bytes / Downloads: 157)
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to DewDewMax for this post:
  • 6LTR, DIESEL KID, harobaua, moon monkey, Remix_Velozity, trenihan
Thank you for the info ima continue that makes it a bit more clear
(01-04-2020, 11:19 PM)MaraJin Wrote: Hate to say it but What was listed above is not quite correct.maybe out of date info? - Who knows, not trying to walk on anyone's toes, . Just providing corrected information here..

Stock enigne settings ... for 2250 and 2350's and newer so far..

A0 - cold start / also used for over-power protection and high transit protection as a fallback mode.

A1 - primary highway/run full-emissions+egr operating mode below 4,000 feet.

chi2 - primary highway/run full-emissions+egr operating mode 4,000 - 8000 feet. (some engines it is 6,000 feet).

chi3 - primary highway/run full-emissions+egr operating mode above 8,000 feet. (some engines it is 6,000 feet).

chi4 - non-egr + engine protection mode below 4,000 feet. <-(This is considered the correct factory non-egr mode for most applications, engine protections are easily removed).

chi5 - non-egr + engine protection mode 4,000 - 8,000 feet. (some enignes its 6,000 feet) <- same as mode4 but for higher altitude.

chi6 - non-egr + engine protection mode 8,000 feet. (some enignes its 6,000 feet). <- same as mode4 but for higher altitude.

chi7 - de-soot mode (rolling regen mode), is same mode for all altitude ranges.

chi8,9,10 - (altitude based) Agressive SCR thermal management modes (choke engine using the turbocharger to heat up the SCR and dpf cans rapidly by making extra exhaust heat). These are also the modes it jumps into shortly after a cold engine start when a person hears the turbo suddenly spool up high .. (factory mode mappings), the engine defaults to these modes, getting stuck there permanently, csusing instability, turbo over-spooling problems, and other issues  if ecm cannot see (because scr/dpf was disabled) or it has too low of scr temp sensor feedback.

chi11 - aftertreatment fuel rate limiting (some engine do not use this mode).

chi12 - extreme engine protection egr-fail/ air handling system failure mode. This mode is also often used as 'limp home' mode on most programs but not all. ecm also disregards altitude and other offsets completely when in this mode.

Chi13 - stationary regen offset mode.

-===

Most of the better del. programs out there will re-map engine into using only chi4, or A0 for startup, and then chi4. <- this is the safest way to make engine run without the emm. junk on it,.. but even so, some heavy editing needs to be done to get it right/safe for long term use.

NOT re-mapping the stock ecm operating mode mappings to wrangle it into a controlled operating environment always results in it getting stuck in one of the thermal management (scr warmup) modes, as this mapping and mode control is NOT automatic and it is hard coded. The ecm follows it blindly. - The trouble is that when sensors and scr managemnt is disabled in the ecm,.. that ecm can no longer satisfy the exhaust temps because it cannot see the scr can/dpf any more, and it gets stuck there. the result is the tell tale sign of bad deletes where turbo is always over-spooling causing all kinds of harm and instability to the engine + excess heat all the time. <- most bad deletes, this is their biggest mistake.. I.E.> assuming the ecm will magicly fix things, when in fact is it not that smart at all. - Leaving the factory engine mode mappings and settings mostly untouched because someone does not understand these systems is a really big engine and turbo killing no no.

chi 4,5,6 are the only operating modes that correctly calculate the intake air volume and combustion pathways with the with egr switched off. - There are some people hell bent on trying to make the engine run in its Alpha modesout of ignorance, but the trouble is that there are hard (cbf#2 offset parms) mappings that offset the intake air and combustion pathways to include the volume of egr piping + gas effects on combustion based on pre-set dirty/clear air mixtures, and most of it is assumed. - Without heavy backend pathway re-mapping, these modes are troublesome at best, and downright harmful if left alone 9factory settings) and ecm is forced into these modes without egr gas. - Again<- another reason why there are so many bad deletes out there. - people really have no idea what kind of big can of worms they have opened when screwing around inside these newer ecm's.
Most certainly out of date....thanks for making it very clear however!!
(01-05-2020, 12:20 AM)MaraJin Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 12:11 AM)DewDewMax Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 11:19 PM)MaraJin Wrote: ...
Most certainly out of date....thanks for making it very clear however!!

i just hope this forum don;t end up like the last one I was on. There used to be all kinds of open discussions about engine tuning, theory, etc. mappings, and help for others to learn on there, but greed took over by the moderators and admins (of that other forum), and it all got deleted - wiped out because they were afraid other people might learn how to do their own tuning properly. Discussions like these also quickly revealed how little those same ppl knew, and they got jealous real fast and trolled the heck out of everything anyone said.

That other forum used to have posts like this on it, and a lot of other stuff some1 could learn from. Proper engine mode control for the 2250's was discussed on there as far back as 2012 and earlier on that other place... Now all been wiped off the map. - So much got wiped out over there, all in the name of greedy engine killing, quick-and-dirty copy-paste tuning.

It has never been about who knows more than who .. I ain't got time for that... its about getting it right, and for most of us, that is a lifetime away without some kind of help and open discussion.
I hear you, everything is left in the dark and it’s very sad. It should not be that way for those who actually want to learn! Much better to have correct info posted instead of in-correct info above.
Thanks for the input I'll keep that in my notes. I've seen plenty of copy and paste and same repetitive failures. High egts in hard pulls plenty of turbo failure. Trying to learn enough to do a full call from scratch but of course it's taking a bit more time than I though it would take ,but now know a lot more that when first started
(01-05-2020, 01:20 AM)Amp1000 Wrote: Thanks for the input I'll keep that in my notes. I've seen plenty of copy and paste and same repetitive failures. High egts in hard pulls plenty of turbo failure. Trying to learn enough to do a full call from scratch but of course it's taking a bit more time than I though it would take ,but now know a lot more that when first started

took me 2 years for the 2250, but that was back when we knew way way less.  after you do one alot of the others fall into place.  im still sick from all those test drives....

it can be done just takes alot of time and patience and a driven attitude.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Unilevers for this post:
  • Brock
So once you lock the engine into chi4 (I'm talking specifically about the X15) do you use the chi4 timing tables or do you still have to change the timing ? I've been told both.
How true is about locking a chi table. I heard of that but never seen it done or maby not looking in the correct place ,BDR OR BGT
(01-05-2020, 09:40 AM)6T56 Wrote: So once you lock the engine into chi4 (I'm talking specifically about the X15) do you use the chi4 timing tables or do you still have to change the timing ? I've been told both.
Which ECM are you speaking of? Reason I ask is that CM2350+ CHI4 is a protection mode, it can be used if you modify all the tables it uses, but again, it's a protection mode. It is no longer an "EGR-OFF" mode as it was in the CM871 days.
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to zyNoT for this post:
  • 6T56, Brock, doloman