Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Calterm Dodge BDC
Can anyone point me in the right direction on unlocking ecm for a 6.7 Chrysler. I've unlocked it thru calterm but when loading a new calibration it failed and it's not in boot mode. Tried to load a stock calibration from quickserve and insite will not recognize it. Any help is appreciated.
You need a properly licensed Cummins with MD (medium duty) added in license.
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
good luck, i have 5 dead ecms on my desk until i figured out how to fix this.  Even if your cummins is licensed for MD you still wont be able to edit and flash files - but you can put stock ones in.

only way to do edited ones is editing live on the ECM to allow it to accept edited files(or flashing the "unlocked file), and it is not as simple as unlocking with calterm.  Fair warning with calterm on dodge aswell.  since you are using the backbone 1939 if for any reason the flash fails before 99% you now essentially have a brick.  when in ROM boot those dodge ECM's shut the communication down on the pins.  only way to bring it back is with a ktag/transdata etc and it aint fun.

anyone who tells you different hasnt actually done one and been the guy standing there when it fails.  i read so many threads about dodges and the misinformation out there is staggering.

its much safer through the OBD and can be recovered that way, it just requires more file structure/security knowledge.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Unilevers for this post:
  • zyNoT
(01-05-2020, 03:08 AM)Unilevers Wrote: good luck, i have 5 dead ecms on my desk until i figured out how to fix this.  Even if your cummins is licensed for MD you still wont be able to edit and flash files - but you can put stock ones in.

only way to do edited ones is editing live on the ECM to allow it to accept edited files(or flashing the "unlocked file), and it is not as simple as unlocking with calterm.  Fair warning with calterm on dodge aswell.  since you are using the backbone 1939 if for any reason the flash fails before 99% you now essentially have a brick.  when in ROM boot those dodge ECM's shut the communication down on the pins.  only way to bring it back is with a ktag/transdata etc and it aint fun.

anyone who tells you different hasnt actually done one and been the guy standing there when it fails.  i read so many threads about dodges and the misinformation out there is staggering.

its much safer through the OBD and can be recovered that way, it just requires more file structure/security knowledge.

Thank you havent been able to find any info on any of this. At this point I just want to load the stock one back in. Will the cab have any problems with the RSA handshake when plugged in back to the ecm?
(01-05-2020, 03:08 AM)Unilevers Wrote: good luck, i have 5 dead ecms on my desk until i figured out how to fix this.  Even if your cummins is licensed for MD you still wont be able to edit and flash files - but you can put stock ones in.

Have you used Calterm 5? They finally added CSAR and mid-range functionality.
If you use Calterm 5 to modify an INCAL it will flash correctly with INSITE as checksum feature is fixed.
I agree that these are harder ones to do. If you have CANking you can revive ECM that dies while flashing.
You just have to set Boot location to application again.
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
(01-06-2020, 03:54 PM)zyNoT Wrote:

Have you used Calterm 5? They finally added CSAR and mid-range functionality.
If you use Calterm 5 to modify an INCAL it will flash correctly with INSITE as checksum feature is fixed.
I agree that these are harder ones to do. If you have CANking you can revive ECM that dies while flashing.
You just have to set Boot location to application again.
i have not used calterm 5, got no info for you there but i would be willing to bet you edit a file and try to flash it back in it will go to 99% and fail.  maybe it wont and that would be cool.

As for bringing back a dead one NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but a ktag/transdata etc is going to bring it back.  it has 0 communication on any pins on the front after a calterm failure below 99% and i have verified that.  You can if you so feel like wasting 3 hrs take it all apart and blast a file in through BDM.  i have brought a few back like that.

Ive wasted more time on those dam dodges than i care to admit lol.  OBD is easier
So we got the ecm in boot mode. Changed pins to 250k baud j1939 and it went thru. Only problem is a p0601 internal memory checksum invalid. Had to flash it back with witech to get rid of the code, thus removing the cal we uploaded. we have the original stock one and a modified one and both go thru now but always with the code. Another experiment we did before flashing it with witech was edit the def heater line selection thru insite and updating ecm. It didnt accept it or maybe it just didnt recognize it but we could get a code for the def heater open. So still at a loss of on the calterm and insite with dodge.

Now we switched to efi live, but we just figured out you cant open the base file from ctz to txt without an encryption. So doing anything other than tuning is off with that. Someone shared with me a "deleted" file but it's the wrong trans for the truck I have
you convert xcal to ctz.  Converting ctz back to xcal is doable but harder.
Would it read it as a hd on efi? Havent tried that since I heard something in the sorts of installing in a different region will open the epa parameters on efilive.
no the HD efi live wont work for the automotive/light duty stuff.