Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Ram 2500 Cummins tuning
I'm looking for info on how to read the ECU to get ready to learn to tune.  From what I've read so far, Calterm and Inline 5 or 6 (or should I look at Nexiq?) should work to read the ECU to start?  I'm in Canada and can easily purchase a tune but it would be locked for me to do any adjustments in the future.  Am I on the right path?

Thank you
Myself for anything cummins i just use insite 7.6 and nexiq link2 zero issue's. But calterm gives alot more info
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to oldgms for this post:
  • Lins
(01-20-2021, 05:08 PM)oldgms Wrote: Myself for anything cummins i just use insite 7.6 and nexiq link2 zero issue's. But calterm gives alot more info

Ok thank you
(01-22-2021, 09:09 AM)Lins Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 05:08 PM)oldgms Wrote: Myself for anything cummins i just use insite 7.6 and nexiq link2 zero issue's. But calterm gives alot more info

Ok thank you

For any tuning purposes you will want Calterm,
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to colterHD for this post:
  • Lins
(01-23-2021, 01:27 PM)colterHD Wrote:

Ok thank you

Yeah that’s what I’ve read. Tune with Calterm, convert and flash with EFILive. Any tips on using Calterm?  I’m not flashing anytime soon, just want to learn the software a bit and see what I need to change. 

Thanks!
(01-23-2021, 02:57 PM)Lins Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 01:27 PM)colterHD Wrote:

Ok thank you

Yeah that’s what I’ve read. Tune with Calterm, convert and flash with EFILive. Any tips on using Calterm?  I’m not flashing anytime soon, just want to learn the software a bit and see what I need to change. 

Thanks!

you can convert and use EFI live if you want, it does make adjustments easier and for light duty may serve you well, Calterm there is very little outside of reading forums and playing with it, I do 90% with Calterm but its a learning curve with only one Cummins document on its function, i also am in Alberta so there's lots of deleted unit we see for retuning  

I would recommend heading over to HP academy and purchasing their diesel tuning course, depending on the year of your truck i would say don't delete it, the HPA course with give you lots of basic fundamentals using EFI live as well as working on engines with active emission system plus will teach you the basics of the EFI program. I have my apprentices do it on their own time prior to them starting to work with me on anything that we're tuning so they have a grasp as to what and why in a very general sense.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to colterHD for this post:
  • Lins
(01-26-2021, 12:16 PM)colterHD Wrote: you can convert and use EFI live if you want, it does make adjustments easier and for light duty may serve you well, Calterm there is very little outside of reading forums and playing with it, I do 90% with Calterm but its a learning curve with only one Cummins document on its function, i also am in Alberta so there's lots of deleted unit we see for retuning  

I would recommend heading over to HP academy and purchasing their diesel tuning course, depending on the year of your truck i would say don't delete it, the HPA course with give you lots of basic fundamentals using EFI live as well as working on engines with active emission system plus will teach you the basics of the EFI program. I have my apprentices do it on their own time prior to them starting to work with me on anything that we're tuning so they have a grasp as to what and why in a very general sense.

I just did the HPA Ultimate course - the Fundamentals and Practical, that's why I'm wanting to start playing around with the softwares out there - it's just too bad they don't provide access to all parameters anymore.  I have a '17 Ram as noted in the title and just got one of the last DEF pumps known to be in stock in North America (apparently b/o till April) just before New Years because the heater side of it died - completely and without prior warning.  That's the 4th emissions issue with that truck so far, otherwise it's needed one door lock, a rear axle seal and a new fob (which I did myself with AlfaOBD - pretty sweet) - pretty good non-emissions wise.  So I want to be prepared for when the extended warranty is done, till then I don't want to risk the powertrain side of the warranty.  I'm directly North of you and would gladly try CCS tuning as they get a lot of good reviews but then it's locked for me to tweak in the future.  Hence why I'd like to start playing with Calterm or if there are other/better/Safer! options out there.  I'm here to learn, just need someone good to learn off of as the information obviously isn't easily laid out.  I see you're also on a website that's similar but more active.

Edit:  I'm likely going to purchase HPT's MPVI2 shortly to play with on some other vehicles, and then eventually EFILive.
Nothing is ever locked, Calterm has always been able to unlock an ecm or pull calibration, only issues I've had are when using slave modules client have bought to swap between preloaded tunes, however I'm strictly HD so i could be mistaken as I now there's some oddities with Chrysler security
Damn, I know you have HD in your name but I was hoping you dabbled in pickups. Thanks,