Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
problem with cm2250
Which one should I diagnose first? Engine has tapping/knocking that is more noticeable at lower rpm. During regen the exhaust smells in the cab really bad. Cylinder cutout test ran without stalling when isolating each cylinder by themselves. Sounded like shit though. Fuel leak down test was little to no drop in pressure after truck was turned off. EGR diff pressure sensor was changed last year. Removed EGR valve and it looked clean. DPF is not clogged pressure and soot levels are normal/low.

[Image: E7_FBAF45_1964_466_F_82_D3_4_C04335248_F9.jpg]
Two of these codes keep appearing. The EGR fault and the Gas Pressure Sensor fault. Ignore the maintenance code. The other two are new.

Please help thx
How many miles on engine?
At Cummins dealer they do nothing with inactive fault and only one count , so the best it's check for most recent ECM calibration and with CM 2250 you must put most recent calibration in DEF module control too , I think the last one is 4353196 , erase code and return truck on road .
[attachment=187 Wrote: Sensei pid='413' dateline='1517267741']Which one should I diagnose first? Engine has tapping/knocking that is more noticeable at lower rpm. During regen the exhaust smells in the cab really bad. Cylinder cutout test ran without stalling when isolating each cylinder by themselves. Sounded like shit though. Fuel leak down test was little to no drop in pressure after truck was turned off. EGR diff pressure sensor was changed last year. Removed EGR valve and it looked clean. DPF is not clogged pressure and soot levels are normal/low.

[Image: E7_FBAF45_1964_466_F_82_D3_4_C04335248_F9.jpg]
Two of these codes keep appearing. The EGR fault and the Gas Pressure Sensor fault. Ignore the maintenance code. The other two are new.

Please help thx

First thing is to educate yourself about your engine of your truck and also the EGR.
The CM2250 have to 2 sides for the engine. Left side (Driver side) is the dirty side of engine and Right Side (passenger side) is the clean side of the engine. You have to do more maintenance to the left side.
No matter what type of fault you have active or inactive, pay close attention to. In my opinion an inactive fault is just like an active fault depends how many times it triggers itself.

If this my truck this I will go by fixing my problem
1.      I will do a complete egr tune up. “I do mines every other month over the week”
2.      Fault code 3383 Replace your egr pressure sensor
3.      Fault 2764 Replace your Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor also if you have not change it yet your crank case filter.
4.      Fault 3232 Mostly likely Intake NOx senor is bad. The sensor is right by the turbo next to egr. You would need to diagnose first before replace it, the sensor is expensive so diagnose it will be the way to go. I will clean the connector and pins and put some dielectric grease
5.      Fault 2771 is the same above
6.      If I where I would clean Decomposition tube this will help clear a lot of your trouble up.

Please don't forget to give me thanks and rep if this help....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to ghostman for this post:
  • Cat-tech, same101us, technik9195
I know it a old tread the OP wrote that year ago but maybe it will help somebody. The knocking sound is most likely caused by worn out camshaft lobe ...take off valve cover and inspect (usually the intake rocker from my experience). On any cummins engine starting with the cm870 up to date change the Exhaust Gas Pressure sensor and Intake Manifold Press/Temp sensor every 100k or so miles they are not that expensive and they clog up quick. They won't even trip a code when they are going bad. You make the money up quick just on fuel . As for the Crank case filter just drill few holes on side and put it back in, I think cummins sells the new design No Service filters now that are empty. Start from there. Clean codes test drive the truck
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to technik9195 for this post:
  • Zezima