Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
big rig power plant
whats your faverite big bore engine in class 8 trucks, i my self like the big 3 cat, cummins, (i know they have thier problems) and the detroit series 60, am not sure on the newer dd15 dd16 engines, blocks seem weak, i also like deere engines in ag machines, i have heard the iveco engines in case and new holland are also stout
My favorite is the big red machine. Or an old clatterpilar
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to burrows_03 for this post:
  • cumapart
I like my 6nz cat. They're reliable and the potential for power is incredible. I'm making around 750 HP and around 2200 ft/lbs at the flywheel. And it's stock internals. Next step for me will be injectors, marine cam and I'm going to switch to compound turbos. None of the other on hwy engines can make the power a cat can without snapping cranks or breaking blocks.

If I had to choose fuel mileage over power I'd go with a 12.7 series 60 Detroit. But blowing by other trucks up 6%+ grades is worth my poor fuel mileage. I passed 35-40 trucks going up donner pass leaving California the other night at 75k pounds smiling and giggling like a little kid the whole time.
The qsx15 Cummins in John Deere’s biggest quad track tractor pulling the Deere 76 foot conservapac air drill and 550 bushel air cart used for seeding crops, the seeding tool goes 4 inches in ground to put fertilizer down, let me tell you, your running 2100 rpm in the hills and the load factor is close to 100 percent nearly all the time, the big ole Cummins can lug at those higher rpms