Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISX 870
Can someone tell me how i can limit my fuel consumption at an idle through calterm? The 870 uses almost twice as much fuel idling or just off idle using my crane and or air compressor than it uses driving say 80 miles down the interstate at 70 MPH. It's getting to be a pain stopping around every job site to fuel up to make it home but if i don't let it idle i can what seems drive forever on a load of fuel. Last week i had to use both crane and compressor for a little over two hrs and boom half tank of fuel gone. Also it's been like this forever but even at light throttle shifting through the gears it bellows pretty good black smoke other than that the thing runs great.
may have a bad injector or 2,
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to IceXN for this post:
  • oldgms
Injectors passed every test including bubble test
Monitoring some live data to put light on the situation would help...

My intention is only for to be helpful on here on occasion and noting more. What I post is always grounded on a factual basis, as I have no tolerance for ppl who try to use fakery, fancy-talk, etc. to try to impress others.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to MaraJin for this post:
  • dawn patrol, oldgms, zyNoT
Could be injectors, timing and fueling actuators, turbo sticking, EGR sticking (if emissions still on), engine running in the wrong mode at the wrong time, etc etc.

CM870's are notorious for injectors going bad and timing and fueling actuators wearing out. Since they have an air-driven turbo actuator, if you have a simple air leak in valve box or lines it can cause turbo to stick in the wrong positions.
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to zyNoT for this post:
  • oldgms, VNC-CHIP