Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hood won't unlatch - Peterbilt 387
Trying to help a friend with a truck. The truck appears to have a hood latch on both the driver side and one on the passenger side. The driver's side works fine, you go under the hood and pull a loop cord which releases the latch. The passenger side's loop cord is missing, the hole is there but no cord. He says it was there previously and one day he came outside and it was missing, animals? idk?? Anyway, is there another way to release the latch on the passenger side without pulling the loop cord? Can't get underneath the hood to fix the problem until it has been unlatched. Thanks for your help!
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
There is normally some sort of trip lever that can hooked with a with a O ring pick or a piece of wire threaded threw it to work the unlocking mechanism in most cases
(03-24-2018, 09:53 PM)burrows_03 Wrote: There is normally some sort of trip lever that can hooked with a with a O ring pick or a piece of wire threaded  threw it to work the unlocking mechanism in most cases

Do u know where the trip lever would be located? i dealt with one long ago can't remember.
The right hand side should be a mirror of the left. Try to follow left hand side pull cable to get a general idea as to location of the trip. Where the cord used to be. Hook the lever with something or at least that is what I've had to do in the past?
is this one with the handle in the cab? the remote latches suck. if aftermarket u need to see where they were installed.
Thank you all! I ended up figuring it out. The guy placed the string and loop into the hole to get it out of his way the last time he worked on it. I took some videos and pictures to help someone who ends up in this particular situation. You may need a metal clothes hanger or something with a hook on it to pull the string, not easy to get to when the hood is closed. Hope this helps someone! Smile

Attached Files
.txt   Peterbilt_387_Hood_Latch.txt (Size: 114 bytes / Downloads: 13)
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to zyNoT for this post:
  • kwdriver, MaraJin, oxyd0xy , Rocinante