Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hard start, Low Fuel in Fuel Filter & Bubbles in Fuel Filter - Peterbilt 387
Hi guys,

Looking to see if someone has an easy answer for this one. Dealing with the same truck as before, a Peterbilt  387, the trucks engine does not start currently. It started previously, but it's always been hard to start. It idles rough as well. Looks to be air in the fuel system. I've attached a video of bubbles in the fuel filter when primer pump is running. The fuel filter doesn't have much fuel in it at all. It's always low, even when it did run. I'm not sure if it is the high pressure pump, lifter (low pressure pump), fuel lines (main + return), fuel filter assembly, etc. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Attached Files
.txt   Peterbilt_387_Fuel_Issues.txt (Size: 97 bytes / Downloads: 19)
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zyNoT for this post:
  • oxyd0xy
(03-25-2018, 05:42 PM)zyNoT Wrote: Hi guys,

Looking to see if someone has an easy answer for this one. Dealing with the same truck as before, a Peterbilt  387, the trucks engine does not start currently. It started previously, but it's always been hard to start. It idles rough as well. Looks to be air in the fuel system. I've attached a video of bubbles in the fuel filter when primer pump is running. The fuel filter doesn't have much fuel in it at all. It's always low, even when it did run. I'm not sure if it is the high pressure pump, lifter (low pressure pump), fuel lines (main + return), fuel filter assembly, etc. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

had same problem cracked filter assembly
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to oxyd0xy for this post:
  • kwdriver
Check fuel lines for wet spots. Check to make sure all fittings and or connections are tight. could be a bad oring on a fuel filter assembly (housing with paper filter element) have had this issue after replacing filters a few time. if it is a top draw tank it could be a stand pipe that is cracked. Also had an issue with a high pressure pump on an older cummins it ended up the high pressure pump. But would strongly suggest checking pressures before throwing a pump on it.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to burrows_03 for this post:
  • kwdriver, MaraJin, Rocinante, Zezima
(03-25-2018, 05:58 PM)oxyd0xy Wrote:

Definitely! You can see the wet spot on the filter base, air gets drawn in the fuel system right there!
(03-26-2018, 09:00 AM)ralphpad Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 05:58 PM)oxyd0xy Wrote:

Definitely! You can see the wet spot on the filter base, air gets drawn in the fuel system right there!

It may look wet, however, it's just rain water. Doesn't smell of fuel at all.
If I helped in any way, please give THANKS + REP!

Cummins INSITE 8.x+Fleet Cals, Password Resets
Cummins Calterm 5.12.1
Calterm Master Tool v9.4
Cummins INCAL Tool v7.0
CNH 9.2 Dealer or Engineering
Wabco 13.6 Engineering
DDDL 8.19 - Levels 10/10/10
CAT ET 2023A + Perkins 2023A + FPKG/AutoGen
SR 4.11 Engineering
Bendix ACOM Pro 2023
Allison DOC 2023
JPRO 2023
Remote Tuning for all Cummins engines. PM for Quote.
more than likely cracked fuel filter assembly...

very common
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to 4ly-syk for this post:
  • kwdriver
You could try running the fuel lines into a drum and eliminate the tank etc and work your way down the line.